Posts for category: Safety
- You or your child hears a snap or grinding noise as the injury occurs
- Your child experiences swelling, bruising or tenderness to the injured area
- It is painful for your child to move it, touch it or press on it
- The injured part looks deformed
What Happens Next?
- Call 911 - If your child has an 'open break' where the bone has punctured the skin, if they are unresponsive, if there is bleeding or if there have been any injuries to the spine, neck or head, call 911. Remember, better safe than sorry! If you do call 911, do not let the child eat or drink anything, as surgery may be required.
- Stop the Bleeding - Use a sterile bandage or cloth and compression to stop or slow any bleeding.
- Apply Ice - Particularly if the broken bone has remained under the skin, treat the swelling and pain with ice wrapped in a towel. As usual, remember to never place ice directly on the skin.
- Don't Move the Bone - It may be tempting to try to set the bone yourself to put your child out of pain, particularly if the bone has broken through the skin, do not do this! You risk injuring your child further. Leave the bone in the position it is in.
Young children explore the world by putting things in their mouth. For this reason, more than one million children under the age of six are victims of accidental poisoning each year. To help protect and keep your child safe, your pediatrician offers advice for identifying and locking up toxic materials and knowing what to do if they touch, inhale or swallow something poisonous.
Medicines: Vitamins and minerals, cold medicine, allergy and asthma medicine, ibuprofen, acetaminophen
Household Products: moth balls, furniture polish, drain cleaners, weed killers, insect or rat poisons, lye, pant thinners, dishwasher detergent, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, gasoline, kerosene, lamp oil
How to Poison Proof Your Home
To maintain a healthy, safe home, your pediatrician offers these safety rules:
- Keep harmful products locked up and out of the reach of your child
- Use safety latches or locks to keep drawers and cabinets closed tight
- Take care during stressful times
- Never refer to any type of medicine as candy
- Don’t rely on child-resistant containers
- Never leave alcohol within the reach of your child
- Call the Poison Help Line at (800) 222-1222 or your pediatrician if your child swallows a substance that is not food
- Keep products in their original containers, as to not confuse your child
- Read labels before using any product
- Always keep a watchful eye on your child
- Check your home for old medications and dispose of them properly
- Move purses, luggage and grocery bags away from prying hands
Talk to your pediatrician today for more information on how to properly poison proof your home. Each extra measure taken is important to protecting your child from harm in your home.